About The Girl

My photo
California, United States
Not-so-silent observations that splinter my conversations. Harnessing the steady flow of random thoughts and musings that continuously interrupt my daily conversations. Paired here with my artwork and photographs from recent adventures. Non sequitur (pronounced \ˈnän-ˈse-kwə-tər\)- a response which, due to its apparent lack of meaning relative to its context, seems absurd to the point of being humorous or confusing.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

SECOND TRY


Eat, Pray, Love...Leave?


I picked up this book the first time almost a year ago. Quite frankly I didn't make it past Italy...
everyone raved about it. Perhaps my expectations were simply too high?
Am I missing something?


I felt horribly frustrated by the main character. Alright, she wasn't feeling satisfied or fulfilled in her life. But I felt that she was terribly selfish!
Fecklessly fleeing her marriage, her responsibilities...I'm somehow always reminded of the person left behind holding everything together. Call it empathy. Call it pity. Call it jealousy?


Once again I'm certain this reflects more on my own personality. She does get to leave all responsibility behind and tour around the globe staying in lovely places without a care except where to fetch her next espresso, pastry or pizza.


Don't get me wrong. I believe in dharma, true happiness and recreational travel. I also happen to believe in commitment, responsibility and discipline. There is effort involved in reaching a point of effortlessness. Right?


So I'm giving the book a second try. I don't want to give up prematurely. After all everyone else LOVED it! Especially India which I haven't yet arrived at. Am I just a horrible scrooge for not adoring this book?!


Did Eat, Pray, Love resonate with you? Am I a completely insensitive idiot for not getting it?


Have you ever encountered a book that everyone else adored that just didn't feel right to you?


3 comments:

  1. I can totally understand you...even though I don't know the book you are talking about but I experienced that with some books, too...they had great reviews from others but I just didn't get really into the books...I just read a book that was not really as fascination as I thought but I told myself this time I have to fnish this book...honestly? Even after I am now done with the book I think this was not my book...I should have read another one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the book. But had to get past her ability to globe trot as well. I don't think if she had children she would have been able to do what she did, or not had the funds in the bank which was evident. But I also know that once you get to India or even Italy for that matter, life is much cheaper than it is here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't bother trying to make it past Italy ~ it doesn't get any better ~ the lack of discipline you mention only increases, yet miraculously the author reports a spiritual awakening only achieved by highly purified beings ~ maybe I need to eat more pasta, pizza and pastries myself? ~ in any event, from what I understand people saying about the third part, the awakening didn't last ~ same as my interest in the book...

    ReplyDelete

I am always grateful for your comments. Thank you so very much for sharing!